Falmouth Wheelers
Saturday March 24 2018 
Featured Sponsors

BBC Sport
Clive Mitchell Cycles
163935 visitors
since October 28, 2014

RSS Feed




Report by C Prior

Alternative? We cheated by leaving our Treks at home and resorted Suzuki and Honda power instead!   For a change it was decided to sail from Portsmouth to Caen and return Roscoff to Plymouth .  

So, off to Exeter for lunch, then the A35 via Bridport etc, through The New Forest then the M27 past Southampton onto Portsmouth. Having located the ferry port, we needed to find somewhere to eat as we had, wait for it, lots of time to spare! Mozzarella Joes came up trumps and it was right on the sea front-excellent.    

We queued and boarded the Brittany Ferries 'Mont St Michel'(very modern compared to the 'Pont L'abbe') after finding our cabin, it was usual drill, off to the bar for a quick night-cap.  

Early morning Caen was overcast but dry. After a well deserved coffee we travelled to Caen War Memorial/Museum which was extremely interesting and emotive with an amazing insight into what really happened at the D-day landings. From here it was back along the coast and after a while ended up next to a 20ft dinosaur made of topiary in a town called Villers, just west of Deauville . Our hotel room had a magnificent sea view if you climbed on the wardrobe and balanced behind the curtain! We found it better to stay two nights at each hotel, which meant a day off the bike and no bike gear to bother about.  

Heading west we stopped at places of interest, like The Bayeux Tapestry, Mont St Michel, St Malo, Dinan, etc. At one lunch stop we met a couple from Guernsey who knew Robert at the hotel we visited on our Wheelers Trip, so I passed on our regards.  

Just north of St Brieuc we stayed in a little town called Pordic, which is twinned with Hayle, and found some Lovely beaches along that stretch of the 'Cote d'amour'. A little too far for a wheelers trip unless we stay a night or two in that area. We headed back to Morlaix via Huelgoat and onto St Pol de Leon. For our final night, it was the only booking for the whole trip-The Cheval Blanc to our usual very warm welcome from Isabelle and Michel.                             

Our homeward ferry wasn't until the afternoon, so the morning was spent in Morlaix. Luckily, because the bike has limited carrying space, shopping was restricted but we still managed to load up with a few bits and bobs to fill any remaining space but no room for extra shoes! saving just enough time to visit our favourite patisserie once more. Back to Roscoff and onto a very crowded Pont L'abbe to Plymouth and the last leg home to Penryn.

Phil and Lyn Clay, Jill and Charlie Prior.            

Distance;977miles(easier with engine) 15 dry days.




  Jam Pot Sunday   

Having not cycled on a Sunday for quite some time, due to that dreaded social inconvenience called work,     it   was with some degree of trepidation that I set out to join the masters of the 9 o'clock run. Don G was in full M.C. mode and quickly sifted through the various suggestions as to where we should go and decided to go where he wanted to go (I love democracy). So at the stroke of nine or thereabouts we set off. We had been joined by two lads from Helston namely Nigel and Paul, who I had not had the pleasure of cycling with   before, also a very tall fit looking lad from Falmouth called Matthew who had been sent along by Nick and Chris.  


Off we went Union corner, Treverva, Halvasso, Crane Garage, Penmarth then over the top to Nine Maidens and on to Black Rock where Matthew suddenly remembered he had a hairdressing appointment and set off back. Of course there was the usual banter about young people having no stamina, can't take the pace, not up to it etc etc Truth be known we were probably a bit on the tardy side for him, you know what we're like chat chat etc. Anyway back to the plot. On we went to Praze an Beeble, Carnhell Green, past Trevaskes, the venue for many a late night knees up organised by the Wheelers Social Committee - don't miss the next one. Connor Downs to the Hayle Gwithian road then right up a nice little nip to build up a thirst for a lovely cup of tea, then left into Gwithian Towans. Some of us male folk headed for the Public loos to make room. As I was riding my Hybrid I thought it would be a good idea to ride over the Towans - good idea until the bike went into the air taking my legs with it but not the rest of me, needless to say we both ended up in a heap in the rough. It would at this point be nice to say that my companions were greatly concerned for my welfare and did not laugh at all but I can't. Anyway no harm done we settled down at the Jam Pot a very nice little Café for a cup of tea and bacon butty.

After a reasonable time of totally inane banter and a chat with a charming couple from St Ives who were riding a Tandem of all things, whatever next. We said our tearful goodbyes to Nigel and Paul who had to get back to Helston before curfew. So we set off down through Gwithian and along North Cliffs, a charming ride with lovely views, to just above Portreath where we turned right although Don G and Lance (or is it Stan) went on to Porthtowan our route up past Tehidy to Pool, a delightful place, and onwards up a slight slope to Four Lanes another one of Cornwall's picturesque villages on towards Stithians where Neil and I headed towards Crane Garage, Halvasso and home and the others to Stithians and home. A nice little ride I made it 48miles but I'm sure everyone has                                        their own ideas.

Paul, Hilary, Richard, Neil, Don G, Don M, Dave(Stan), Nigel, Paul, Matthew and of course yours truly - Fred





The New Forest Gridiron

Report by Gill Lightfoot

We had planned this long weekend away to coincide with a visit to our daughter in Porstmouth. The weather forecast was good for the weekend and  so we set off on the Friday morning bikes on the car heading for the New Forest . The weather was really good travelling up so we called into Lyme Regis for our lunch which we ate sitting on The Cobb followed by an ice cream on the beach. We arrived at our accomadation  in Lymington at around 4 ish. We had booked a 13th century farm house the sort of place that Steve does not really fit in. He could only just get through the door and everything creeked when he moved. The whole bathroom was on a slant and we both felt sea sick after a while.

Saturday was nice and after breakfast Nicola met up with us to do some shopping. Steve managed to find a pub that had the rugby showing so he disappeared for the afternoon. We found a good pub in the evening and had a nice meal before retiring early  to be ready for our Grid Iron Ride. After a good cooked breakfast we drove to Boldre about 3 miles away for the start of the 100km ride . There were 3 start times but we decided on the earliest which was 9.30. It all seemed very well organised with over 200 people enrolling on the day, 601  riders in total took part.  There were all sorts of bikes on show, several tandems and some classic bikes. Don Gunner would of enjoyed just looking at the bikes in the car park. A wide range of people took part aged from early teens to late 70's and  all shapes and sizes so Steve and I fitted in very well. The route encircled the New Forest national park. It was a randonnee ride and every one was supplied with directions. 

We headed north west towards Burley and then on to our first control point was at 35km at Hyde village hall were we had tea and cakes, after getting our cards stamped we decided to get straight back on to the bikes and start the next leg of the ride. The next section was on high heath land with a section called Godshill which was very high and exposed but thankfully the weather was good and not too windy.  We then headed under the M27 on towards Colbury village hall for the 70 km control point this part  took us on to busy roads for a short while. More tea and cakes but again Steve would not let me rest, always keen to get on with the ride.

The last section was very scenic taking us across Beaulieu heath picking up the river and on towards Bucklers Hard and then heading west back to the start at Boldre. We counted about 10 cattle grids and so much wild life from ponys, donkeys pigs and lots of cattle which you just have to cycle around at times. The trees were all in full autumn colours and all together a really enjoyable day. We completed in 5 hrs 46 mins averaging 12 miles per hour.  



Don Gunner's alternative to the Audax Ride.                                                     Sunday 2nd September. By Don M

The ride was   to be over Hensbarrow Beacon to Pentewan, up to Heligan for lunch and then back home via King Harry Ferry. I met Don G. at Draceana at 08.30 and then we went on to Truro to meet Dave M. and Richard at the petrol station.  Dave was showing off his new Boardman top of the range bike.  We cycled on to Tresillian and up through the Ladock valley and Fraddon, then turned right for St. Dennis.   Two ladies, on the way to church, stopped to admire us â€"  especially Don G. who they thought was a youngster!

Here we had to consult the map.  Richard thought we should go straight ahead, but Don said bear right.  I don't think Richard saw the ‘Dead End' sign.  After one detour around the housing estate, we got back on track.

Climbing now, we reached Hensbarrow Beacon, which, at 312 meters or 1024 feet, has got some lovely views.  We then dropped down to St. Austell at an accelerating pace onto the cycle track that leads to Pentewan.  Richard knew a track that led up to Heligan, thus avoiding a road climb.  Everyone was hungry by this time so we had a welcome lunch at the Gardens.

Fully refreshed, we set off again through St. Ewe, Polmassick, Ruan High Lanes, Philleigh and down to King Harry Ferry.  The homeward journey was via Feock and Penpol to Devoran, where we said Goodbye to Dave and headed for home.

Riders:- The two Dons, Dave and Richard.

Nice ride.  Good company.  Hilly in places.  65 miles



The two Don's Wednesday ride.      

Report by Don Morris


I had to take my motor home to Camborne to the garage for a small job to be done, so I asked Don G. if he would like to come and have a ride in a different place for a change.  We put the bikes on the van and arrived at the garage about 08.30.

It was a quiet, grey and cold morning so we donned our coats and off we went, out of Camborne towards Connor Downs.  We turned right under the A 30 and then left towards Gwithian.  We had to climb a long hill that got us both panting a bit at this time in the morning.  At Hayle we rode up another hill past the Bucket of Blood pub!  The road took us through the holiday chalets, but then ended, so we carried our bikes along a sandy path onto a rough road that took us past Hayle harbour.  Now we were on a familiar road through St. Erth and down to Marazion where we stopped for a coffee break.

Refuelled, we set off through Marazion, to Plain an Gwarry where Mr. G, said there was a way to cut through to Goldsithney.  The lane turned into a track full of potholes and mud, but there was no choice now but to go onwards.  Eventually we came out at Goldsithney.  The route back to the garage was through Townsend, Leedstown, Carnhell Green and Barriper;  past Trevithick's cottage into Penponds and so back to pick up the van and drive home.

  30 miles covered.  A nice change from the usual rides. 



Brittany Trip September 2007

‘Three Tandems and the Night of the Big Pig'  


Report by Christine


  Quick decisions were made and a three tandem French Trip transpired.   We met as usual at the ferry port café with Charlie and Jill just making check in time.   A little wine before heads down and before we knew it the bell was ringing for breakfast.   The day broke with clear blue sky, a little bit chilly, so we all layered up and made our way to Hotel Cheval Blanc to drop off our panniers.  After a quick scan of the map we decided on trying a different route to Morlaix which proved a good choice.   At Penze we took a right turn towards Guiclan and made our coffee stop at the local Tobac, onwards to Tregonnec which brought back memories of a previous trip where McKernen had spoken to the masses from the top of the steps at Tregonnec.   We arrived in Morlaix in time for lunch, 27 miles cycled and the sun allowing us to eat alfresco in a family run restaurant where we enjoyed various seafood dishes, Jill and Chris tried a very rustic veal dish which perhaps it is best not to mention the parts of the calf found in it, but they were very glad they had ordered a large starter!

Following lunch we spent some time soaking up the sun and exploring the market, then back on the tandems making our way back towards St Pol along the riverside.   We arrived back at St Pol to sit in the square in the sun with a couple of beers.   After making our way to Hotel Cheval Blanc we were welcomed by Isabel and Michel who had been celebrating St Michel day at the local bar and they were both in very high spirits!   Our hosts invited us to join them in the celebrations that evening at the ‘ Chez Jean' bar for a pig roast meal and drinks.   At 7.30 pm Isabel drove us in their people carrier for aperitifs at the ‘ Mary Stuart ' Restaurant and Bar on the sea front of St Pol where the wine flowed to aid with French/English communications.   Later when we arrived at the ‘Chez Jean' bar we found the party in full swing, where we were made to feel very welcome and enjoyed a lovely meal prepared by the locals.   After the meal the music was pumped up and we all boogied the rest of the night away, a classic night that made us feel part of the Breton community.   Charlie was up at 6.30 am the next morning ensuring we had our early morning call which was needed, he then helped Isabel with the breakfast preparation and after fond farewells we were back on the ferry home.     

 The three tandems stuck together and made quite a spectacle, we were applauded entering the square at St Pol, a really fabulous trip enjoyed by us all. 

40 miles cycled Nick and Chris, Charlie and Jill, Keith and Christine




CHARLIES CLUB RIDE                                     

Falmouth invades St.Ewe and takes the Crown                                                                 Report by Richard F

Sunday, 14th October 2007                                                                       

‘It was a case of â€" we should have done this, and we should have done that, but we  shouldn't   have done that; but it was just as well we actually did that!'

Well, being a silly sod - I stuck my neck out and asked who was doing the write-up: the decision   was unanimous and the moral is â€" don't ask, as it is taken as volunteering.

Five dedicated cyclists arrived at Budock Hospital for the early ‘off' â€" Commander Charlie, Don, Ironman, Jono and myself.  The ‘softies' were driving to Tresillian, where we would all meet up at the lay-by at around ten.   En-route Charlie had a call from Hilary to say that she was ‘bug-ridden', and that Paul was ‘on a shout' and may catch up with us somewhere.   We took the main road to Treluswell and down to the Norway Inn â€" Jono descending into a really nasty but hidden ‘pothole' on the hill.   We stuck with the main road and then via the cycle lane and Old Falmouth Road to Truro: at the top of Morlaix Avenue sure enough there was Paul.   We continued and arrived at the Tresillian lay-by in good time.

Surprise, surprise considering the rather ‘murky' weather, but some 22 riders assembled, including   some new faces â€" Keith and Terry, and a welcome return to the fold for Malcolm and Joeline.   Also, there were three twin-engined jobs â€" including Keith's enormous Cinelli: I'll swear that when the front was half-way up the hill to Probus, the back was just leaving the lay-by!   After considerable banter, much admiration of some new bikes and a last-minute arrival of Scalatchi, we were ready for the ‘off proper'.    By the way, we were told that there was no planned coffee stop.   Whaaat!


We climbed into Probus and turned left towards Ladock only for Jono to experience a flat front tyre.     A few remained to help Jono whilst the rest trundled towards Ladock and waited for the regroup.   We carried on thence to the top of Grampound Road, before the long and wooded descent to Trenowth, where Lance tried to gracefully fall off his bike: well it certainly was not graceful and, I am sure, very painful!   He got up bravely, decided that the air ambulance need not be called, checked that his CB was unmarked â€" he knows his priorities â€" and away we headed up to Hewaswater.   We crossed the very busy main road and regrouped briefly before diving into the back lanes again to Lower Sticker, and then the climb to the five turnings by Little Polgooth.   This is where we realised that we had deviated from Charlie's planned route â€" and even off the map!   I did suggest that we turn right and head in the general direction of St Ewe â€" in the hope that this would lead us eventually back on course to arrive in Grampound, or Probus, or wherever!

Well, we ended up in St Ewe â€" well off-course, but, this was actually the high spot of the day.    Scalatchi dashed into the pub to negotiate some catering arrangements: well done that man, because this turned out to be one of the best food stops of all time.   The Crown Inn really did us proud with coffees, drinks and all manner of food â€" and bearing in mind the large numbers and no prior warning, carried it off with great efficiency and charm.   Entertainment was even provided by a delightfully friendly cocker spaniel.   Many decided there and then that they would revisit some time, whether on or off bikes; and this has to be a definite for a future club run.   To the charming ladies of the Crown Inn, the Falmouth Wheelers say a   very big thank you!   Redemption for our leader, I guess, as there was a coffee stop after all!

From here we descended into Polmassick and then the long and punishing climb through Tucoyse to join the St Austell to Tregony road.   Just after this a few of us attempted a break-away via Creed to Grampound, but this failed as the main peloton were having nothing of this, so we retraced and caught up before the fast descent into Grampound.   There is a speed camera ‘thingy' at the top of Grampound â€" which some of us took great delight in making it flash.   Yes, I know, 40+ in a 30 limit is a bit naughty, but what the heck!

At the bottom of the hill in Grampound there was again dissent in the ranks, with some heading up the lane through  Bartliver to Trewithen and some of us opting for the main road.   Jono went up here like an express train â€" I tried and failed to keep up as, apparently, did Parky just behind.   At the top we turned left and fortunately all regrouped by Trewithen back entrance: amazingly we were all together again!   We road back through Parkengear to Probus with Mickey forging at least a half-mile ahead; we crossed the main road again â€" where everyone seemed to vanish once more!

By some miracle we all arrived back at the Tresillian lay-by at roughly the same time.      This was really a very good ride and everyone agreed â€" excellent scenery and not a few hefty climbs.   Will St Ewe ever recover from the invasion of Falmouth cyclists? Not to mention probably doubling the population for a mo!  Well done our Commanding Officer Charlie for organising such a cracker!

Jono, Paul, Scalatchi, Don, Lance and myself rode back; with Lance leaving us at Carnon Gate, and I parted company with the remaining stalwarts at Frog Lane.   

Riders :   (in no particular order â€" and I apologise for spelling mistakes or omissions) â€" Charlie the Commander, Don, Red Leader, Karen, Parky, Ironman, Gill, Jill, Denise, Jono, Lance, Micky, Malcolm, Noeline, Scalatchi, Nick, Christine, Keith, Christine, Terry, Keith and your scribe for the day.

Mileage :   22 for the actual ride, 50-odd for the stalwarts.



The Picos De Europa and Beyond                     


Report by Red Leader

Sunday: As arranged I joined up with my 15 other tour mates at Plymouth ready to catch the ferry to Santander .     It was glorious weather and a smooth crossing with a fine meal to boot made for a great start to the trip.

Monday:   We arrived in Santander on the Monday morning. Then took the unusual way out of the city by the Feve train to Astillero, for just over 1 euro each they took riders and bikes with no fuss, just like British Rail!!!   On reaching Astillero it was a short 20k ride with only one climb to our first stop at Lierganes.   This town sits underneath two hills known locally as ‘Las Tetas' (no translation necessary).

Tuesday:   Lierganes â€" Villarcayo 70k. Tuesday morning was sunshine and clear skies as we started the 70k leg to Villarcayo.   A tough climb of 1350m over the Portilla de Lunada was bit of a shock for our first real day.   Also with breakfast not until 9.00am it meant we were climbing in the hottest part of the day.   But as is the way with these long climbs you have a good run down to follow so the afternoon was easier and we arrived at our hotel at 5.00pm.

Wednesday:    Villarcayo â€" Aguilar de Campoo   108k .I made the decision to try and get away earlier on Wednesday as we had 108k to ride, our next stop was Aguilar de Campoo, or Eagles Nest because of the now ruined castle that sits on a crag overlooking the town.   No tough climbs today just gently undulating roads so a most pleasant day on the bike.

Thursday:   Aguilar de Campoo â€" Guardo   88k. After another good breakfast we set out for Guardo some 88k away. We rode together the first 28k as a group and stopped for coffee together. Sat outside in the café's garden in the sunshine. We split after coffee as we then had to climb 1413m to the top of Altode la Varga.   Here some of us had a picnic lunch at the view point, stunning views of mountains and valleys.

We then dropped about 6k before a violent thunderstorm hit us.   Thunder, lightening and heavy rain. We pressed on to Guardo in the wet , almost 40k. Then we had to contend with coal lorries, this made the roads black and wet and it sprayed everywhere.   So we arrived at the hotel looking worse for wear.   Good hot shower and rinse out kit and as good as new again.

Friday:   Guardo â€" Cangas de Onis   96k.  This proved to be one of the best days of the trip.   Woke to better weather and got away at 10.00am. Lovely start to day riding around lakes and onto Riano for coffee stop. I pushed on from here alone and climbed over the Puerto Del Pontonat 1280k and officially entered The Picos National Park. Splendid views of mountain peaks now as we descended into the Desfiladero De Los Beyos Gorge, most spectacular.

Fast run in on new smooth tarmac for the last 20k finished a great day, staying here for two nights.

Saturday    35k . Most took the option to ride to Coradonga, site of Moors first defeat in 718.   Shrine and small Chapel on site and plenty of souvenir tat!   From here I climbed to Mirador de la Reina a fantastic view point about 3k short of the summit.   Sitting here in the sunshine with a splendid view I thought it quite a good way to celebrate my birthday. Then a gentle roll back down and return to hotel to catch up with washing.

Sunday: C angas de Onis â€" Cofinal   100k. This was the toughest day so far .  Left at 9.00 after early breakfast and first 28k were flat, then started to climb. Hard climb to 908m to Puerto de Amicio in hot sunshine then a gentle descent before another really climb to Puerto de la Tarna 1490m. This proved to be a long drag as by now it was raining and cold.   A short descent was followed by a climb to 1625m to go over Puerto de las Senales.   From here it was all down hill to Cofinal and our hotel which we were glad to find.

Monday:   Cofinal â€" La Robla   57k. Started off in better weather so had good intentions to ride the longer loop of 93k but after our coffee stop in Bonar the heavens opened again and it poured down.      I took shelter under a branch until it was pointless so I set out on the more direct route. Managed to push on as road surfaces were very good and about 8k from hotel it cleared and sun came out. Arrived at 3.00pm which gave plenty of time to sort out kit.

Tuesday:   La â€"Robla   _ Riano   83k. Woke to better weather and had breakfast of eggs, beans, ham and chips.   Very pleasant day with no really steep climbs and sunshine on your back made everyone feel better.   Arrived at hotel 5.30pm here for two nights.

Wednesday:   Valdeon loop   78k. Took the chance to ride this loop today, without panniers was also a bonus. After gentle start climbed over Puerto de Pandetrave 1562m. Long but not too steep a climb.   Drop down into Posa de Valdeon where I joined seven others for dish of the day sitting on terrace in sunshine (12 euros each).     Really steep drop from here to Mirador del Tombo spectactular views right in the heart of the Picos.   Climb back out, some of it 20% then follow valley before climbing over Puero de Panderuedas 1450m. This proved a lot harder than the mornings climb and I was grinding away.   From the summit it was a lovely run back to the hotel to finish off the day.


Thursday:   Riano â€" Espinama    75k. Cooler start with low lying mist hiding the mountains. This soon burnt off and it turned into another lovely day. Gentle start was followed by climb of 1609m to Puerto de san Glorio where I had a picnic at the top. This was followed by the longest and best decent of the trip About 8 miles down the mountain around several switchbacks and then a further   2miles along the valley floor to La Vega where I stopped for a well earned beer. Onwards through Potes the day finished with a climb to our hotel at Espinama.

Friday:   No cycling today so we went for a ten mile walk mad or what!! Took footpath from Espinana and climbed to high ridge.   Walked along ridge, most stunning, through psses until I reached the Fuente De Cable car, rode down in the car, brilliant experience then followed footpath back to Espinanato complete circular route. Good weather all day made a most worthwhile effort as the views were every bit as good as the brochure said.

Saturday:   Espinana - Puentenansa  81k.  Set off in the mist again as we dropped down valley to Potes.   From there it was climbing, gently at first all the way to 1313m and Puerto de Piedrasluengas. Great pity today the mist didn't lift so we saw nothing at all. A cold descent down to the valley and Puentenansa, last 40k was very easy.


Sunday:   Puentenansa â€" Lloreda   100k . Our last real cycling day and it was a tough day. No big climbs but the route was up and down all day which tested the legs. Some new junctions and a one way system confused us for a while but we managed to sort ourselves. On reaching our plush hotel at 6.30pm Johnny, Peter and   myself celebrated with large beers, most welcome.   Feeling of satisfaction to have completed the tour and carrying own gear all the way made you feel like a proper touring cyclist.

Monday:   Lloreda â€" El Astillero and Santander    22k.Gentle morning spin back to station at El Astillero and then return to Santander on Feve train as before.Weather fine again as we amused ourselves around the Port. Very rough crossing home on the ferry was a shame as we had arranged to all meet for the last supper, conditions put a stop to that. We arrived back in Plymouth on Tuesday morning, 2 hours late after battling against the elements all night.

It was a first class tour, Tony Gore the tour leader was excellent and his route directions to compare against the map were a great help and kept me right. 634 miles covered, no mechanical problems thanks to Kye and a trip I would recommend to anyone.





Hidden lanes 


By Schalatchi

For this years Hidden Lanes ride it was left for Olav and myself to represent the Falmouth Wheelers. (Others, who shall remain anonymous - you know who you are - were on a jolly to somewhere foreign - France I believe).   

 We set out from St Agnes on the dot of 9 o'clock and for the next 10 to 15 miles we found ourselves in the lead group. winding our way through Mithian out to Zelah, and on to Newlyn East. This is a lovely stretch of road and I like to ride it fast, but on this suggestion Olav pulled in my leash, and said that it was early days yet and our heart beats per minute were 160.  

At St Columb we again took a wrong turn but after some consultation ended up back on track (we'll do it right one day Don, I promise). At Rosenannon one unfortunate cyclist lost control of his bike after hitting a stone in the road, he made heavy contact with the ground. All the riders stopped to check that he was OK.

Peter Hanson was at Bokiddick with a very welcome check point, where we took on water and cake. Just a short stop here we were soon off again.

Stage two which winds its way through Laurean, Rescorla and Stenalees. Turning off the Roache road we are now heading up Hensbarrowhill, quite a slope, and today a head wind, lovely! Still it keeps us cool. At the top Nick Roberts (the organizer) is there to greet us with more water and cake.

We are now on our last stage, and the run down is very quickly over. Having ridden this ride before I could remember where to go but the ride notes were referred to as necessary.

For me I found that the last stage seemed to be hillier, with some climbs being quite steep. We were feeling more tired at this stage. By now the roads were familiar to me, (after years of the Don Gunner school of navigation and outdoor pursuits).

Exiting by Truro International Airport  I tipped the wink to Olav - no more hills now just a level run into St Agnes. The run back to St Agnes from here was fast the wind was in our backs and we were flying.

W hilst consuming more sustenance at the finish, the chap who had earlier fallen off, arrived. He'd felt unwell and was left by fellow cyclists at a house en route.  It turned out the owner used to be a pro cyclist, he even dropped the dazed cyclist back to his home in Liskeard. There are some lovely people about.

  Riders Olav the Restrainer, Schalatchi, the Restrained.
  Miles covered - 69
  Riding time - 4 hours 50 minutes
  Calories burnt 9,400
  Calories consumed 11,005
  Average heart beats per minute 250

  Sat nav results inconclusive as there was water in the works.





If you want to beg, borrow or steal any articles or our pictures (as if) we will take it as a compliment. No, really, we will.

Powered by mySportSite.com Team Website Platform
Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement